Beauty enthusiasts everywhere groaned last month when it was announced that President Obama banned plastic microbeads from cosmetics due to environmental concerns. While the federal ban doesn’t go into effect until 2017, many states already passed the ban over the past few years. I know you love that particular deep clean that comes from scrubbing your face with those tiny beads but those little bits of plastic don’t dissolve, they just go down the drain and eventually pollute our oceans. What’s more important? Clear skin or clean water and healthy sea lions? Luckily, there are a lot of great exfoliants out there that don’t hurt Nemo! Here are 5 alternatives to plastic microbeads.
1. The Classic: St. Ives Apricot Scrub You’ve probably had a St. Ives product in your bathroom at least once in your life because if something ain’t broke, don’t fix it! I love using this scrub on my forehead a few times a week in the winter to combat dry skin and, since it’s made of apricot, it’s an all natural exfoliator.
2. At Home Spa Treatment: bliss Micro Magic Microdermabrasion Treatment If you love indulging in a spa day, bliss’s Micro Magic Microdermabrasion is like a facialist in a tube! Formulated with volcanic pumic for a good scrub, this one is surprisingly creamy and packs an extra punch of moisture.
3. For The Luxury Lover: Tata Harper Smoothing Body Scrub Tata Harper’s body scrub is 100% natural with five biodegradable particles like cranberry fibers, organic sugar, and Hawaian sea salt! Plus, it smells incredible.
4. For Acne-Prone Skin: Biore Acne Clearing Scrub If you have acne prone skin, those plastic microbeads are incredibly irritating but this Biore scrub is specially formulated for acne and with just 1% salicyclic and microcrystalline wax particles it’s gentle enough for sensitive skin.
5. All Over Body Wash: Borghese Salt Body Scrub Salt is probably the original, natural exfoliator, so Borghese’s body scrub will smooth even the dryest of winter legs. In addition to sea salt, this scrub combines avocado, shea butter and mango, plus it’s suitable for all skin types.